Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

It's not supposed to be easy

           I have spent two weeks here in Guatemala already this summer. Sometimes the days will fly by while others will slowly drag on. Sometimes I feel as though my pictures that I post make it seem like I am in paradise and that I am living the dream. Sometimes that it true. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it here but it can be very difficult at times. It was definitely a challenge to adapt to the different culture and living situation. Sometimes I even find myself asking God why he brought me back here. I love this country and I love the people so much but I want to be here with a purpose. I want to accomplish what The Lord has sent me here to do.
            While being here I have seen God so much but I have also seen the devil quite a bit. During my every day tasks I feel like there is so much tension. I have never experienced spiritual warfare and Guatemala would be the last place that I would have ever expected to experience it. Things that I never expected would happen are happening and I have no explanation as to why. As soon as I see The Lord working, something negative takes over and changes the positive atmosphere completely.
             I read an article the other day about missions and it hit home to exactly what I am feeling. It stated that being a missionary is not always easy. Following God's will is not always easy either. Yes it is right and it is what he calls us to do but nowhere does it say that it would be a stroll in the park. It is actually easier for us as sinners to follow the way of the world and to be tempted, than to follow what The Lord calls us to do.
             I love what The Lord has sent me here to do and it feels good to recognize it some days. The other day while I was having an extremely bad day I was holding a little girl named Illy in my arms from the village that we were in that day. I looked down at her and she looked up at me with her big brown eyes. That is when it clicked for me. This is why I am here. I am not here to feel comfortable or to feel like someone owes me something. I am here to serve these precious children and people that are so desperate for Jesus' love.
               I prayed before I came to Guatemala for God to put me outside of my comfort zone and he sure has. The minute I got off of the plane and stepped on Guatemalan territory knowing that I would be here for an entire month was when he first placed me outside of my comfort zone. He challenges me every single day. That doesn't mean that I can give up, I have to strive to be the very best that I can be each day. Every morning I wake up and pray for The Lord to give me enough strength and energy to get me through the day so that I would be willing to serve and do whatever I am asked to do even if it is outside of my comfort zone. Even though I may encounter the devil throughout the day, I need to stand firm in The Lord's will.
              I asked The Lord to send me and he did. 

"Since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each others feet."
           -John 13:14

                                                             3 year old Illy


2 comments:

  1. He will continue to give you strength for every day, every moment. Don't lose sight of His purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your service. This is beautifully written! I noticed that you are a student at Liberty? I plan to earn my Masters Degree there..small world! :) Stay positive and know that what you are doing, is truly making a difference. YOU are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete