Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Guatemala round three; What our week looks like

      It's that time of the year again when I pack up and head to the country that has a special place in my heart. As I prepare both my heart and mind for my third summer back to Guatemala, I can't help but to reflect on how much the Lord has blessed me in that country. I've been looking forward to this week since I stepped foot back in America last summer. This trip to Guatemala will be different because I unfortunately won't be able to stay for a month this summer due to my job. Although I'm sad that I won't be spending more time there, I am still very thankful for another opportunity to travel to Guatemala again!
      Many people have asked what we specifically do during our time in Guatemala so I decided to share our itinerary for the week.

Sunday: 
- Arrive in Guatemala City (@2 pm)
- Drive to Hope of Life (4 hour bus ride)

Monday:
-Tour of Hope of Life for new members
         *Elderly Home
         *Baby Rescue Center 
         *Special Needs Home
         *Orphanage 
         *Liberty College
         *Warehouses
         *Tilapia Ponds
         *Greenhouses
         *Hope of Life Village/ Causelife Village
         *Baby Hospital
-Lunch
-Choose a place on campus where you would like to serve for the rest of the day

Tuesday:
-Depart for La Colonia
-Go door to door with gifts to meet the people and pray for the families
-Lunch
-Activities with the children
-Bible study for the women

Wednesday:
-Ministry at Hope of Life
-Lunch
-Depart for the feeding center at the dump
-Return for afternoon of ministry at Hope of Life
-Have dinner with sponsor children

Thursday:
-Depart for La Colonia
-Go door to door with gifts to meet the people and pray for the families
-Lunch
-Activities with the children
-Bible study for the women
-Fiesta dinner

Friday:
-Ministry at Hope of Life

Saturday:
-Depart for airport (@4 am)
-Depart from Guatemala (@ 1:30 pm)

      When we are on Hope of Life's campus we are able to decide where we want to spend our day ministering. La Colonia is the village that my church adopted last summer. We are investing in that village in the next few years and will start building a school and church for them starting in November. During this trip we really want to get to know the families that live in that village and start relationships with the people there. 
      The feeding center is a place where many travel on foot for miles to get food for their family for that day. The dump is just like any other dump where trucks from the city will empty their garbage but it is also home to a lot of families. The dump is also where the feeding center is located. It is definitely the saddest place that I have ever been to and my heart breaks every time I return. Our job there is to feed the people and fill their containers with food and water so that they can take it back home with them.
      My family has been sponsoring a little girl from Guatemala named Ilda for the past 7 years. Our first trip to Guatemala in 2013 we had the opportunity to meet Ilda and her dad in person and have dinner with them. On Wednesday we are going to see Ilda again and spend some time with her and her family!
      I am itching to get back into those beautiful mountains and have my kids back in my arms again that I can barely wait to board the plane in 7 hours! Please keep my group in your prayers as we start our long and exhausting trip tonight and for the rest of our week ministering to the people of Guatemala.
Guatemala 2015 round three, here we go!






No comments:

Post a Comment