Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Clothe Yourselves With Compassion

As I'm sitting on the plane back to the states, I ponder on the simple things that I complain about and how insignificant they are compared to other's struggles. There are people fighting for their life each day who are overwhelmed with fear and hopelessness - a feeling that I have never experienced in my 23 years. The difficult moments that I have faced seem irrelevant compared to the daily battles of others.

On Monday I walked into a straw covered hut and saw a 2-year old child struggling to live. I thought he was less than a year old when I first saw him but realized that he was so tiny and unable to develop correctly due to malnourishment. Along with his poor health, he was also suffering from an infection in his lungs that would later be diagnosed as pneumonia. Our team of nurses assessed him and came to a conclusion that he needed to be taken to the hospital immediately. It happened so fast that I didn't even see the ambulance when they came to pick both him and his mother up. The two were taken to St Luke's Hospital on Hope of Life's campus, 4 hours away from their home and comfort zone.

We went to check on Marlon in the hospital the day that we returned from the jungle. As I stood in that small intensive care unit, the same room where I spent 10 hours overnight with Obdulio as he fought for his life 3 years ago, I felt the same gut wrenching feeling of sorrow. I watched as my mother held his mother's hand. I couldn't imagine my own mom going through this type of pain; helpless and alone, like this poor mother felt. As my mom prayed over this sick little boy, tears rolled down the young mother's face while my heart welled up with compassion.

I look out the small airplane window at the clouds above me and huge mountains below. I'm reminded that God is not the creator of evil and suffering. He remains with His children through every trial and storm. He protects and provides in times of trouble and need.

God was present in that small hospital room that was filled with pain and heartache. He is both sovereign and good, and I have hope that he will take care of this child.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11


I challenge you to take a minute today and think of a simple blessing that you take for granted. Thank God for it. Let us be grateful and use our blessing to help and pray for those who are less fortunate than we are.

Please keep this tiny warrior in your prayers. 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Gentry! This is beautiful! Your mom is up at the hospital checking on Marlon and his mom.

    ReplyDelete